News + Views + Events

Field Law’s Immigration Group provides corporate clients with skilled advice and representation on a wide range of visa and business immigration matters. Our group includes experienced lawyers and paralegals collaborating to deliver efficient, cost-effective solutions for our clients.

Our lawyers provide focused strategies to reduce the obstacles that national borders present for skills and services. We assess, develop and implement the best immigration strategies for business visits, work/study permits, permanent residence and citizenship.

Our strategies consider both Canadian in bound immigration and US outbound immigration.

Field's immigration lawyers collaborate with our lawyers in the Tax, Business, Labour + Employment, Litigation, and Wills, Estates + Trusts to provide one-stop service to clients with international operations or global mobility programs.

We service and advise:

  • Employers
    • The best strategies for hiring skilled foreign workers through the Global Talent Stream or the International Mobility Program, including recruiting, advertising, obtaining labour market impact assessments (LMIAs)
    • Compliance audits and inspections
    • Transfers of employees/executives to the US
  • Foreign Nationals
    • Work permits, permanent residence, travel documents, restoration of status and citizenship in Canada
    • Business visitors, students and family members accompanying temporary foreign workers
  • On Appeals
    • Before the Immigration Appeal Division, Canadian International Trade Tribunal, Citizenship Judges and the Federal Court of Canada

Our clients stay well-informed through complementary seminars, publications and networking opportunities. To contact our immigration lawyers, click here.


Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Runsewe, 2016 FC 974
Vakurov v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2016 FC 859
Awadh v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2014 FC 521
Ali c. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2013 FC 335
Grusas v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2012 FC 733
Williams v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2012 FC 119
Zakhour v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2011 FC 1178
Winter 2020
2019 - A Year in Review Seminar Series
Join the Field Law Labour + Employment Group for our annual seminars featuring legal updates and practical challenges for management and employee groups. Both sessions will be submitted to CPHR Alberta for Continuing Education credits.Part 1: ...
December 2019
Cross-Border Workforce Trends in 2020
Workwise Newsletter
As we approach 2020, employers have increasing options for bringing skilled workers into Canada, while opportunities for employees to head south, to the United States, are increasingly limited. Field Law's Immigration Group projects three trends to...
September 26, 2019
Must Have Policies for Employers: Why, What + How
Join Field Law in Edmonton and Calgary and learn tips and tricks to assist with the implementation and enforcement of three workplace policies Employers should have in place in today’s market.We will explore how changes in legislation and culture...
March 2019
Maintaining Permanent Residency When Faced With a Departure Order
Immigration Alert
In order to maintain a permanent residency in Canada, residents must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC&rdqu...
February 6, 2019
2018 Year in Review for Northern Employers
Join Field Law for a review of the most important legal cases from 2018. Topics covered will include: Labour Employment Human Rights Occupational Health + Safety Privacy Immigration Cannabis This seminar will be broadcast live via ...
Winter 2019
2018 A Year in Review Seminar Series
The Field Law Labour and Employment Group presents the annual Year in Review seminars in Calgary and Edmonton. Join us for legal updates and practical challenges for management and employee groups in the areas of:  Part 1: Human Rights ...
December 2018
Upcoming Criminal Code Changes + Its Effects on Entering Canada
Immigration Alert
On December 18, 2018, Canada will begin imposing tough new penalties on those who drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including cannabis, or commit cannabis-related crimes.  The maximum penalty for impaired driving offences w...
Fall 2018
Avoid Border Battles: 5 Tips for Travel to the U.S. Now That Cannabis is Legal in Canada
Aboriginal Business Quarterly
October 2018
Upcoming Impaired Driving and Cannabis-Related Penalties
Immigration Alert
On December 18, 2018, Canada will begin imposing tough new penalties on those who drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including cannabis, or who commit cannabis-related crimes. Most impaired driving offences will be considered serious ...
October 2018
"Did You Roll That Yourself?": Travelling Tips Now that Cannabis is Legal in Canada
Keeping Up With Cannabis Legislation
Today’s the day! Cannabis has become legal in Canada for adult use, possession, purchase and distribution. As an important reminder, it remains illegal to take cannabis across any international border by any means, (land, water or air).  The...
July 2018
Cannabis Complicates Crossing the Border
Workwise Newsletter
The legalization of cannabis in Canada poses a unique opportunity for entrepreneurs, investors, and businesses. It is estimated that the recreational cannabis market in Canada may generate approximately $23 billion in annual revenue, creating jobs and ...
August 2017
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018
25 Field Law Lawyers Recognized
25 Lawyers from Field Law Recognized in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada 2018 Field Law is pleased to announce that 25 lawyers have been included in the 12th Edition of The Best Lawyers™ in Canada. Three of these lawyers are new additions a...