Rob has a broad tax practice that includes advising corporations and their shareholders on domestic and cross-border investments, transactions and business structures to optimize their tax situation.
Rob has implemented corporate reorganizations for businesses in a variety of industries and provided tax advice on financing and merger and acquisition transactions. His practice involves a significant international tax component, acting for clients ranging from owner-managed businesses to public companies. He has also successfully negotiated favorable outcomes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Business owners and individuals turn to Rob when facing complex tax issues such as:
- Structuring advice for inbound investment for non-residents carrying on business in Canada
- Implementation of cross-border financing strategies to maximize interest deductions
- Facilitating shareholder buy-outs in a tax-efficient manner
- Advising on the judicious use of trusts for asset protection, tax efficiencies, and business succession
- Unconventional tax strategies using derivatives and financial instruments
- Business succession planning
- Minimizing the erosion of family wealth from tax and double tax on death
- Mitigating departure tax for Canadians emigrating to other countries
Robert is also a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars on tax topics.
Value to Clients
Tax is something that touches all businesses and everyone’s personal life. Rob is able to quickly assess a business situation and determine how he and his team can add value. The end result is that tax law services are a profit centre, not a cost.
Outside the Office
Being a former professional musician, Rob enjoys philanthropic which include include music and the arts.
Canadian Tax Foundation
Canadian Bar Association
Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners