Costs Orders in Professional Regulation: Navigating the Latest Developments
April 11, 2023
On March 30, 2023, the Supreme Court of Canada denied application for leave to appeal of two decisions of the Alberta Court of Appeal where the Court addressed a regulator’s authority to order costs: Tan v. Alberta Veterinary Medical Association and Jinnah v. Alberta Dental Association and College.
We addressed the implications of the decision in Jinnah in October 2022.
Now that the Supreme Court of Canada has denied the application for leave to appeal, professional regulatory organizations are considering how to navigate issues concerning costs.
Join Katrina Haymond, KC and Caitlyn Field for a webinar where we will address:
- Overview of Jinnah, Tan and other key court decisions addressing costs
- Applicability of Jinnah to professions not governed under the Health Professions Act
- Factors to consider in determining whether to seek or order costs, including:
- Determining whether conduct is “serious”
- What it means to be a “serial offender”
Date: April 11, 2023
Questions? Contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org