Paul Kolida is an Edmonton-based lawyer serving clients within the areas of general litigation and insurance. Paul provides a variety of services to clients in the insurance and banking sectors as well as general litigation work for businesses of all sizes. He also has experience dealing with product liability issues, ranging from smaller home appliances to complex commercial products.
His experience includes advising on a broad range of issues including:
- Complex commercial litigation matters
- Shareholder and collection matters
- Corporate and construction disputes
- Product liability matters
His insurance practice includes files involving defense, coverage and subrogated actions for property and injury matters involving automobile, property, and general commercial liability policies.
Owning or renting a mobile home can present some unique legal challenges for both tenants and landlords. Paul is well versed with the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act (MHSTA), which sets out the rights and responsibilities for people who own a mobile home and rent the mobile home site from a landlord. He works with these owners and managers of modular and manufactured home communities in a variety of areas including:
- Manufactured home community lease enforcement, including terminating leases for non-payment of rent, terminating leases for a variety of breaches in the lease agreement and recovery of the site when homes are abandoned
- Commercial Lease Enforcement, including terminating commercial leases and landlord’s distress seizures
- Unsecured debt recovery and judgment enforcement for debt actions, including commencing actions and enforcement of judgments
- Subrogated insurance claims, including commencing actions and enforcement of judgments
- Personal property security enforcement, including the seizure of secured goods
- Specializing in the enforcement of residential manufactured home leases
- Specializing in the enforcement of debt actions
Value to Clients
“I enjoy building a personal relationship with my clients through one on one meetings or conversations over the phone. I strive to find solutions that best suit the individual needs of my clients.”
Outside the Office
Sports have always played a large role in Paul’s life, and he and his wife play slo-pitch with the firm team, Field of Dreams, while also enjoying skiing and golfing together. His love for coaching currently has him coaching rugby and basketball with his wife at her junior high school while also coaching hockey in the community. For down time, Paul enjoys relaxing with a good book and traveling.
During law school, Paul competed in both the Alberta Court of Appeal Civil Moot and the Client Consultation Moot, finishing second at nationals in the latter. Paul was also the captain of the Golden Bearristers rugby team, and a three-year member of both the Law Show and the Tortfeasors hockey teams.
Corporate + Commercial Litigation
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada™
Nor’Westers Athletic Association
2016 - Present