Vita Wensel is a lawyer in our Edmonton office focusing on professional regulation and administrative law, health law, and criminal law.
Vita was called to the bar in 2019 and started her legal career in criminal defence. She then acted as in-house counsel for a regulatory health college, focused on prosecuting disciplinary matters, where she gained extensive experience in managing and providing advice on complaints from start to finish, including investigations, hearings, and resolution. She also has experience as a Complaints Director for a regulatory health college, gaining a unique insight into the decision-making role. Before joining Field Law in 2023, she attended the University of Toronto for an LLM in Health Law, Ethics, and Policy, expanding her knowledge to best support her clients’ needs. During her LLM, she focused on various areas, including fitness to practice, consent to medical treatment and incapacity.
Having worked for regulatory colleges, she understands providing cost-effective services and focusing on the goals of an organization. She pairs this with straightforward, compassionate, and individualized legal advice. Vita’s experience and areas of assistance include:
- Conducting administrative hearings relating to discipline, administrative penalties and other orders
- Consulting professional regulatory organizations in areas such as registration/licensing, unauthorized practice, discipline, compliance, and interpretation of legislation
- Conducting criminal trials, bail hearings, guilty pleas and other applications and assisting on other criminal matters such as appeals
- Drafting decisions for administrative decision-makers, and
- Drafting policies, procedures, and guidelines for professional regulatory organizations.
Vita enjoys examining legal issues from both sides to better prepare her client’s case and approach law and litigation collaboratively with her colleagues and clients.
Value to Clients
"I approach clients as people first, then address the legal concern they are faced with to provide them the most efficient, client-centered, and focused assistance possible. By understanding my clients, I can better guide them through conflict, crisis, and challenges."
Outside the Office
When Vita is not in the office, she can be found spending time with her dog, Diego, or enjoying Edmonton’s art, music or theatre scenes. She is an avid downhill skier in the Alberta mountains and she travels often to Latin American countries.
CBA Alberta North Health Law Executive
Treasurer/Member of Executive
2022 - Present
Council on Licensure, Enforcement and Regulation
2020 - 2023
Canadian Network of Agencies for Regulation
2020 - 2023