For over 80 years, Field Law has been a leader in education law. We represent the University of Alberta and the Alberta Teachers’ Association, and provide legal services to many universities and colleges.
Field Law is a founding member of the Canadian Association of University Solicitors (CAUS) and has a leadership role in the Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education (CAPSLE).
With the largest education law practice group in Alberta, Field Law is experienced in advising public institutions about the complex governance, regulatory, and administrative environment in which advanced education is delivered. We understand the demands of public accountability, transparency, and institutional integrity that are essential to the operation of universities and colleges.
Clients rely on our advice for legislative compliance, including the operation of the Post-Secondary Learning Act, and we offer an online legislative monitoring service for all Alberta post-secondary institutions.
Universities and colleges navigate many settings and rely on our assistance in numerous areas including:
- institutional governance, reorganization, and policy development;
- government relations, including Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education;
- public accountability and relations with the Office of the Auditor General (including investigations and compliance with recommendations);
- the creation and administration of Centres and Institutes;
- academic program accreditation and affiliation agreements;
- tuition fee regulation;
- relationships with undergraduate and graduate student associations;
- student discipline and academic appeals;
- labour relations with academic and non-academic staff (including discipline, grievances, human rights, disability management, collective bargaining, interest arbitration);
- immigration and work permits;
- occupational health and safety;
- academic freedom, including relations with the AUCC and the CAUT;
- research integrity, including compliance with Tri-Council policies and advising about the relationships with CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC;
- research services agreements, funding agreements, and academic secondments;
- intellectual property and technology (including licensing agreements, trademark and copyright registration, patents, technology transfer);
- distance learning and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs);
- access to information and privacy (including legislative compliance, OIPC inquiries, privacy breaches, and CASL compliance);
- reputation management (including defamation, social media, Internet and press issues);
- human rights, Charter and other constitutional issues;
- student residence issues;
- campus safety and security;
- complex litigation, including class actions;
- advancement and endowments;
- real estate, land development, and land trusts;
- public-private partnerships;
- procurement, construction and tendering;
- commercial agreements (including service agreements, data sharing, residency agreements, joint ventures, sponsorship agreements).
Enquiries about our services may be directed to Kevin Feth, QC at email@example.com or 780-423-7626 or Geoff Hope at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-423-9585.