Robert "Rob" Rakochey
News + Views + Events
Rob Rakochey has practiced dispute resolution and risk mitigation since being called to the Alberta Bar in 1990. He has appeared as counsel in all courts in Alberta and the federal court system, both as counsel for litigants and as an ad hoc prosecutor. With his extensive dispute background, Rob works with many clients to mitigate and avoid risks associated with their business activities.
Rob’s practice in dispute resolution and risk mitigation is varied. He routinely provides advice to developers, contractors (both general and sub-contractors), insurance companies, major financial institutions and captive lenders on a variety of issues, including construction matters, employment issues, occupational health and safety, contractual and commercial claims, insurance matters (both liability defence and coverage) shareholder disputes and oil and gas issues.
Value to Clients
“I resolve problems effectively and efficiently and deliver practical solutions to prevent and mitigate future issues. By combining my broad knowledge, experience and pragmatic approach I take an objective view of each case and explore every option available to try to achieve my client’s desired outcome.”
Outside the Office
Rob prepares championship level Barbeque for his family and friends. Sometimes that includes venison and other wild meats from his hunting escapades. To burn the calories Rob is passionate about handball and golf. Rob is well known for his extensive community involvement, including volunteering as a coach at the YMCA and for Special Olympics, and being a Founder of the Business Fore Calgary Kids Foundation.
Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law subsection
Canadian Bar Association, Civil Litigation subsection
Law Society of Alberta
Calgary Bar Association
Alberta Trial Lawyers Association
Listed Construction Law
The Best Lawyers™ in Canada
Alberta Handball Association
President and Director
2008 - Present
Business For Calgary Kids Foundation
2006 - Present
The United Way of Calgary and Area
1995 - 2019
2008 Canadian Handball Championships
Rotary Club of Calgary North
1999 - 2000
Rotary Club of Calgary North
- “Defamation Bytes: The Law of Defamation and the Internet,” Federated Press Seminar, 5th Internet Law Course, March 3 and 4, 2011.
- “New Rules of Court,” Legal Education Society of Alberta, September, October, November, 2010.
- “Advice and Direction on Issues Relating to the Provision of Expert Evidence in Forensic Matters,” Investigative and Forensic Accounting Conference, October 20 and 21, 2008.
- “Advising a Debtor — Liability and Ethical Considerations,” Seminar on practicing estate planning for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, May 18, 2006.
- “The Risks of Playing 'Hardball' — Some Thoughts on Keays v. Honda Canada Inc.,” Lorman Seminar on Employee Leave Issues, May 3, 2006.
- “Occupational Health & Safety Law for Lone Workers: Compliance and Good Practice,” Petroleum Technology Alliance Canada Seminar on Wireless and Telecommunications Technology, October 6, 2005.
- “Acceptable Use Policies — Criminal Law, Civil Law and Practical Applications,” High Technology Crime Investigation Association, September 2005.
- “Boom, Bust, Liable — An Explanation of Liability Issues for Financial Planners and Suggestions on How to Avoid Liability,” Canadian Association of Financial Planners, June 20, 2000.
- Numerous other lectures and continuing legal education seminars for clients and the profession on various topics including insurance-related issues, issues relating to litigation preparedness, occupational health and safety, class actions, commercial issues and matters relating to the Personal Property Security Act.
University of Alberta, 1989, LL.B.
University of Alberta, 1986, Bachelor of Commerce With Distinction