Mark Mielke is a mergers and acquisitions and securities lawyer working with a wide range of businesses from start-ups to publicly listed companies in Calgary's technology, life sciences, transportation and cannabis sectors to provide efficient legal solutions.
Mark respects clients as the entrepreneurs and business people who create and grow businesses essential to economic growth, innovation, and job creation in Alberta. “It’s a privilege to work for these companies, helping them create innovative technologies and drive the Alberta economy.”
Mark provides excellent customer service on a broad variety of matters including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Public and private equity transactions
- Amalgamations and reorganizations
- Ongoing continuous disclosure
- Raising Capital and Corporate Finance
Mark has significant experience representing health professionals, including dentists, veterinaries, and optometrists with acquisition and disposition of professional clinics in Alberta.
Mark also has worked with small and mid-sized private and public issuers on securities related matters including the preparation of information circulars, continuous disclosure, general securities and corporate compliance.
Value to Clients
Prior to attending law school, Mark completed a master’s degree in Urban Economic Development (with Distinction) at the University College of London. Mark gained research experience performing rental market analysis for the Greater London Authority and collecting data on electrical infrastructure for the Government of Ethiopia.
This master’s level study of economics and the urban economy has provided Mark with a concrete understanding of the competitive drivers of cities, property markets, and urban economic growth, which aids in understanding the business and strategy of developers, planners and construction companies. "My master’s thesis analyzed and discussed the formation of tech clusters in urban centres and the creation of markets for new technologies, which provides me with a solid foundation to provide advice to start-ups, entrepreneurs, and technology companies."
Mark worked as a law summer student in the regulation and compliance department at OMERS in Toronto, where he provided daily advice on proxy voting and corporate governance matters for Canadian and US publicly traded corporations. This experience has provided Mark with a greater understanding of corporate governance issues across Canada and in the US.
While working for one of Canada’s largest financial institutions, Mark provided investment advice and helped clients achieve their financial goals. "I learned the value of providing excellent customer service to our clients, and I have continued this commitment to my clients in the practice of law."
Outside the Office
Mark is an avid traveler, having explored over 35 countries you can find Mark kayaking through the Amazon, exploring the temples of Bagan, training through India or cycling in Kenya.
Schulich Scholarship of Law
Mark’s practice is focused on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities.
Significant mergers and acquisitions experience:
Mark regularly advises clients, from start-ups to large international corporations, on the negotiation, structuring and implementation of M+A transactions in the technology, life and health sciences, transportation and cannabis industries. Mark also has significant experience representing health professionals, including dentists, veterinaries, and optometrists with acquisition and disposition of professional clinics in Alberta.
Mark has a broad range of M&A experience including:
- the acquisition of a transportation company valued at over $100 million
- the purchase of various hotels with a total purchase price over $50 million
- the purchase of an Ontario based transportation company valued at over $70 million
- the sale of a software company valued at over $25 million
- the purchase of a car dealership valued at over $40 million
- the sale of an entertainment business valued at over $18 million
- the sale cannabis retail chain valued over $8 million
- the sale of a renewable energy company valued at over $6 million
- the sale of dentistry, veterinary, and optometry practices
Broad expertise in corporate finance:
Mark is regularly consulted to assist start-ups and early-stage businesses with raising capital in the private market, including friends and family, seed, and Series-A financing rounds. Mark has assisted companies in the technology, cleantech, and cannabis industries to raise the capital needed to grow their business.
Mark’s corporate finance experience includes:
- Acted as Canadian counsel for California based technology company raising capital in Canada
- Acted as counsel for the SAFE financing of new Calgary based technology company
- Acted as counsel for the Series-A financing for a lithium extraction company
- Acted as counsel for a $3 million private placement of securities for a cannabis producer
- Acted as counsel for the borrower with respect to credit facilities totalling $125 million