Mark Mielke is an Alberta lawyer who works with business owners, large financial institutions, and small and mid-sized corporations to provide efficient legal solutions.
Mark respects clients as the entrepreneurs and business people who create and grow businesses essential to economic growth, innovation, and job creation in Alberta. “It’s a privilege to work for these companies, helping them create shareholder value and drive the Alberta economy.”
Mark provides excellent customer service on a broad variety of matters including:
- Asset and share purchases
- Amalgamations and reorganizations
- Unanimous shareholder agreements
- Commercial leasing
- Corporate governance
- Contract review
Mark has worked with small and mid-sized private and public issuers on securities related matters including the preparation of information circulars, continuous disclosure, general securities and corporate compliance.
Value to Clients
Prior to attending law school, Mark completed a Master’s Degree in Urban Economic Development (with Distinction) at the University College of London. Mark gained research experience performing rental market analysis for the Greater London Authority and collecting data on electrical infrastructure for the Government of Ethiopia.
This master’s level study of economics and the urban economy has provided Mark with a concrete understanding of the competitive drivers of cities, property markets, and urban economic growth, which aids in understanding the business and strategy of developers, planners and construction companies. "My master’s thesis analyzed and discussed the formation of tech clusters in urban centers and the creation of markets for new technologies, which provides me with a solid foundation to provide advice to start-ups, entrepreneurs, and technology companies."
Mark worked as a law summer student in the regulation and compliance department at OMERS in Toronto, where he provided daily advice on proxy voting and corporate governance matters for Canadian and US publically traded corporations. This experience has provided Mark with a greater understanding of corporate governance issues across Canada and in the US.
While working for one of Canada’s largest financial institutions, Mark provided investment advice and helped clients achieve their financial goals. "I learned the value of providing excellent customer service to our clients, and I have continued this commitment to my clients in the practice of law."
Outside the Office
Mark is an avid traveler, having explored over 35 countries you can find Mark kayaking through the Amazon, exploring the temples of Bagan, training through India or cycling in Kenya.
Schulich Scholarship of Law
Mark has a broad range of transactional experience including:
- Assisted with share purchase of entertainment business valued over $17 million.
- Assisted with reorganization of oil field services companies with total market value in excess of $5 million.
- Provided advice on amalgamation of two aircraft industry businesses.
- Provided advice and negotiated a sale of an ecommerce business valued over $40,000.
- Assisted with the sale of a construction company valued over $10 million.
- Assisted in the sale of shares in oil field services company valued at over $21 million.
In addition to a transactional solicitors practice, Mark maintains a litigation practice focused on achieving results for clients. Mark assists his corporate clients with litigation largely focused on debt recovery, breach of contract, and shareholder disputes. Mark’s experience in corporate litigation includes:
- Successfully enforcing security agreements for financial institutions.
- Enforcing payment under contracts for construction companies and contractors.
- Successfully recovering debt owed to commercial landlords.
Mark is also a member of the firms Intellectual Property and Emerging Technology groups providing entrepreneurs and inventors with fast and effective solutions to complex legal obstacles. Mark works side by side with teams of developers and engineers to design and develop products that not only innovative but are legally protected. Mark provides services such as:
- Freedom to Operate Analysis
- Trademark Prosecution
- Utility and Industrial Design Patent Searches
- Patent and Trade Mark Infringement
- Drone Law and Regulations
- Software and Technology Licensing