Stay in the "know" with the most recent developments in business law on our BLOG.
Mark Mielke is an Alberta lawyer who works with business owners, large financial institutions, and small and mid-sized corporations to provide efficient legal solutions.
Mark respects clients as the entrepreneurs and business people who create and grow businesses essential to economic growth, innovation, and job creation in Alberta. “It’s a privilege to work for these companies, helping them create shareholder value and drive the Alberta economy.”
Mark provides excellent customer service on a broad variety of matters including:
- Asset and share purchases
- Amalgamations and reorganizations
- Unanimous shareholder agreements
- Commercial leasing
- Corporate governance
- Contract review
Mark has worked with small and mid-sized private and public issuers on securities related matters including the preparation of information circulars, continuous disclosure, general securities and corporate compliance.
Value to Clients
Prior to attending law school, Mark completed a Master’s Degree in Urban Economic Development (with Distinction) at the University College of London. Mark gained research experience performing rental market analysis for the Greater London Authority and collecting data on electrical infrastructure for the Government of Ethiopia.
This master’s level study of economics and the urban economy has provided Mark with a concrete understanding of the competitive drivers of cities, property markets, and urban economic growth, which aids in understanding the business and strategy of developers, planners and construction companies. "My master’s thesis analyzed and discussed the formation of tech clusters in urban centers and the creation of markets for new technologies, which provides me with a solid foundation to provide advice to start-ups, entrepreneurs, and technology companies."
Mark worked as a law summer student in the regulation and compliance department at OMERS in Toronto, where he provided daily advice on proxy voting and corporate governance matters for Canadian and US publically traded corporations. This experience has provided Mark with a greater understanding of corporate governance issues across Canada and in the US.
While working for one of Canada’s largest financial institutions, Mark provided investment advice and helped clients achieve their financial goals. "I learned the value of providing excellent customer service to our clients, and I have continued this commitment to my clients in the practice of law."
Outside the Office
Mark is an avid traveler, having explored over 35 countries you can find Mark kayaking through the Amazon, exploring the temples of Bagan, training through India or cycling in Kenya.
Schulich Scholarship of Law
Mark has a broad range of corporate experience, providing advice to mid-sized companies, junior companies and start-ups on corporate governance, financings, unanimous shareholder agreements, private placements, contract development, and shareholder disputes. Mark has a broad range of transactional experience including:
- Assisted with share sale of entertainment business valued over $17 million.
- Assisted with the purchase of certain oil and gas assets valued at over $16 million.
- Assisted with the reorganization of an oil field services companies with a total market value in excess of $5 million.
- Assisted with the asset sale of a car dealership valued at over $40 million.
- Provided advice and negotiated the sale of an ecommerce business valued over $40,000.
- Acted as counsel for a $3 million dollar private placement of securities for a cannabis producer.
- Assisted with the share sale of a construction company valued over $10 million.
- Provided advice on amalgamation of two aircraft industry businesses.
- Worked as counsel for a $2 million dollar private placement of securities for cannabis producer.
- Acted as counsel for the sale of shares in an investment corporation valued at $3 million.
- Negotiated the sale of $21 million dollars' worth of shares in an oil field services.
In addition to a transactional solicitors practice in Calgary, Mark maintains a general northern practice focus on corporate law and mining law in the Northwest Territories and Yukon. Mark provides local counsel services for international financial institutions and international law firms and assists major, intermediate, and junior mining companies with navigating northern regulations. In addition, Mark regularly provide advice to mining companies, listed on various stock exchanges around the world, on mergers, acquisitions and operations in the Northwest Territories and Yukon. Notable northern projects include:
- Assisted local counsel regarding the purchase of a gold mine in the NWT valued at over 16 million dollars.
- Acted as local counsel for the sale of certain mineral leases and claims for a copper project in the NWT valued at over 600,000 dollars.
- Acted as counsel for the transfer of an air strip within the Mackenzie Valley Settlement area.
- Worked as local counsel for the purchase of an adventure tours company operating in the Yukon and the NWT valued at over $600,000.