Jill Bishop’s practice focuses on corporate/commercial disputes, construction and insurance litigation. Jill is a tenacious advocate for her clients but never loses sight of the practical and efficient resolutions which often best serve their goals.
Jill is results-orientated and has a proven track record of achieving success for her clients in Alberta and British Columbia, including individuals, directors, shareholders, and companies of various sizes and spanning several industry sectors. Jill is equipped to serve clients operating in both jurisdictions and her clients return to her for assistance whenever a dispute is brewing.
She has recently assisted clients with the following nuanced areas of dispute:
- Enforceability of contracts where changes in the energy sector have made the contract impossible to perform;
- Commercial transactions with issues of corporate authority and self-dealing;
- Shareholder oppression remedies;
- Derivative actions on behalf of corporations;
- Injunctions to protect corporate and personal assets until the dispute is resolved;
- Insurance matters including professional liability, director and officer liability, bodily injury, coverage and subrogation;
- Commercial and personal liability for occupiers and builders and adherence to the Alberta Building Code; and
- Defending and prosecuting construction disputes including builders’ lien claims, project delay, and force majeure clauses.
Value to Clients
"One of my strengths is forming trusting relationships with my clients, which enables me to understand their objectives better. Establishing familiarity with my clients' priorities creates the potential for creative solutions and often helps avoid unnecessary and costly steps in litigation."
Outside the Office
Away from her desk Jill loves to travel – most recently enjoying the culture and cuisine of Mexico City. Locally, she enjoys hiking, skiing and golfing in the spectacular Rockies. On a typical weekend morning in Calgary, you will find Jill at her neighbourhood coffee shop before heading on an adventure to find a new playground with her young sons.
Canadian Bar Association (Young Lawyers Okanagan)
Kelowna Bar Association