Faiz-Ali Virji is a business-focused lawyer with general litigation and insurance practices representing corporate and commercial entities in Alberta.
His experience includes advising on a broad range of issues including:
- Commercial, shareholder and collections matters
- Condominium and tenancy actions
- Corporate and construction dispute resolution
His insurance practice includes matters involving coverage, defense and subrogated actions for property and injury matters under automobile, property and commercial general liability policies. For his commercial clients, Faiz’s solutions-focused approach helps them navigate misunderstandings around shareholder agreements and business disputes, as well as debt recovery matters.
Owning or renting a mobile home can present some unique legal challenges for both tenants and landlords. Faiz is well versed with the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act (MHSTA), which sets out the rights and responsibilities for people who own a mobile home and rent the mobile home site from a landlord. He works with these owners and managers of modular and manufactured home communities in a variety of areas including:
- Manufactured home community lease enforcement, including terminating leases for non-payment of rent, terminating leases for a variety of breaches in the lease agreement and recovery of the site when homes are abandoned
- Commercial Lease Enforcement, including terminating commercial leases and landlord’s distress seizures
- Unsecured debt recovery and judgment enforcement for debt actions, including commencing actions and enforcement of judgments
- Subrogated insurance claims, including commencing actions and enforcement of judgments
- Personal property security enforcement, including the seizure of secured goods
- Specializing in the enforcement of residential manufactured home leases
- Specializing in the enforcement of debt actions
Value to Clients
"Offering my clients a holistic perspective on their cases is critical. We evaluate each situation thoroughly and objectively so that we do what’s best for the client. As a valued advisor, it’s my role to help them avoid lengthy and expensive litigation through creative and personal solutions that educate them on the best route to take."
Outside the Office
Faiz’s love of hockey has seen him be a player and a coach, as well as an avid Oilers fan. During law school, Faiz’s creative side saw him in the roles of video director and actor for the Law Show productions of “Charlie and the Law Factory”, “Allawdin”, and “Harry Lawter”, Vice-President Social of the Law Student's Association, a writer for the Canons of Construction and a member of the Litigators Hockey Team. A good book and a trip “anywhere” are also high on his list of things he likes to do.
Canadian Bar Association Northern Alberta Junior Lawyers Section Executive
2017 - Present
Seminar on the United Nations and International Affairs
2017 - Present