Erin Berney possesses extensive experience in all manner of residential and commercial condominiums, from traditional, bare land and phased-style development, to “barely blended”, duplex, mixed use, and rural developments, including foreign ownership requirements.
She has been a condo owner in downtown Edmonton since 2005. Additionally, she has served on the Board of Directors as Treasurer, Secretary and Chair of the Bylaw Review Committee, which gives her unique insight and invaluable knowledge and experience that she brings to her clients. She has assisted condominium corporations, developers, property managers, boards, owners and tenants in creating and maintaining vibrant, fair and law-abiding condominium communities all across Alberta.
Erin maintains a broad legal practice emphasizing general civil litigation and administrative law. Her primary area of focus is condominium law in Alberta, including:
- Bylaw reviews, drafting, interpretation, amendments, and enforcement
- Borrowing/loans and security
- Property management, contract drafting and agreement reviews
- Collection of condominium fees, charge-backs and fines
- Foreclosures, liens, caveats, and priority disputes
- Builder/developer/construction deficiencies
- Tenancy-related issues and evictions
- Leases, licenses and transfers of units/common property/common property units
- Insurance claims
- Privacy and security policies
- Procedural issues and corporate governance
- Planning, development and Land Titles Office registrations
Before venturing into the field of law, Erin was a graphic designer at the Edmonton Journal, and managed the Canadian Literature Centre at the University of Alberta. She was also a student editor for the Alberta Law Review.
Outside the Office
In her spare time, she enjoys reading a good book, playing golf, piano and guitar, as well as spending time with her family, friends, and her cat, Winston.
Canadian Condominium Institute
Edmonton Community Legal Centre
Pro Bono Law Alberta
Civil Claims Duty Counsel Volunteer
2012 - 2017
Queen's Bench Amicus Court Assistance Program
2017 - 2017