Doug Nishimura is an Alberta-based lawyer representing clients throughout Canada who are facing complex debt recovery litigation, financial restructuring disputes and other related business issues. These matters often involve the purchase or sale of distressed assets in a court-approved restructuring or receivership, and at times, through a bidding process.
Doug has more than 20 years of experience representing the full range of parties involved in debt recovery disputes and restructuring proceedings, including corporate debtors, large and small financial institution and secured lenders, unsecured creditors on an individual and collective basis, shareholders of insolvent corporations, trustees, monitors, receivers and other court appointed officers and counterparties of insolvent corporations.
Doug is a staunch advocate for companies and individuals who are experiencing serious financial difficulties and need to restructure or protect themselves against creditors. He handles a wide range of formal insolvency and financial restructuring issues and proceedings, including:
• Bankruptcy and receivership
• Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) actions
• Recovery of debt and protection from creditors
• Enforcement of securities
• Negotiation of forbearance and informal restructuring processes
• Purchases of assets in insolvency proceedings
In addition, Doug identifies and resolves problem areas in secured transactions, such as priority disputes, preference claims, trusts, fiduciary obligations, fiduciary claims and fraud actions. Clients also turn to Doug for help with investor actions, fraud investigation and recovery, injunctions and corporate and commercial dispute resolution.
Value to Clients
Doug has a reputation for strong oral and written arguments and for working one-on-one with clients. He excels at identifying each client’s goals and developing tailored, proactive strategies for achieving them. Doug is also highly-regarded in the insolvency field and has deep experience navigating the complex processes and challenges his clients encounter.
Outside the Office
Doug spends most of his free time with his family. He was also a music teacher before law school and is one several musicians in the firm who have been playing rock and roll as a group at local bars and other events for more than 20 years.
2014 - 2023
Listed Corporate + Commercial Litigation
The Best Lawyers™ in Canada
• Represented a bankruptcy trustee in a complex construction case involving numerous projects, creditors and claims, and helped the trustee collect and distribute debtor assets
• Represented the receiver in a highly-contested litigation matter involving a debtor that was harming investors by operating a fraudulent mortgage fund