The Field Law Internet Law and Emerging Technology groups work to keep you aware of the latest developments and how they may affect your business and personal lives. Field Law can help you manage your Internet and emerging technologies risks.
Internet Law Group focuses on issues with social media and social platforms, anti-spam, CASL, e-commerce, copyright, online privacy and internet harassment.
Emerging Technologies Group focuses on Cyber Security, Drones/UAVs/UASs and Sefl-Driving and Autonomous Vechicles.
Internet Law Services
Anyone conducting business today is conducting it online in some way. There are very few businesses that are free from the reach of Internet-related issues. This is an area where experience counts. Where do you turn if you are facing these Internet-related issues?
Our multi-disciplinary team of lawyers, patent agents and trademark agents brings a steady hand and trusted advice to business managers in a dynamic area of law that changes week by week. Our lawyers can see the broader context of where Internet law overlaps with business law, privacy law, employer-employee relationships and other core areas of law. The clients of our Internet Law Group include everyone from start-ups, to small and medium-sized businesses, to multinational companies and publicly-listed corporations.
Business opportunities, e-commerce, copyright issues, branding, online defamation, litigation, intellectual property, privacy...our Internet Law Group has provided practical advice on all of these issues, so your team is free to focus on your business. We can help you with:
- Online business-to-consumer retail sales or business-to-business commercial sales - we have assisted clients with establishing enforceable electronic and e-commerce contracts for sales and shipping of products, from software integration to checkout to order fulfillment
- Online licensing of software, cloud-based software and software-as-a-service (SaaS) - our team advises clients on online license terms, web-based end-user license agreements and terms of service
- Software development and support agreements for online subscription-based software
- SaaS escrow - we have advised clients with establishing escrow accounts for online data and software subscription services
- Buying and selling assets and shares of technology companies with Internet-based businesses, including due diligence and strategic advice related to subscription-based software and data
- Advice on privacy policies governing the online collection of personal information and other data, including internal employee policies and customer-facing policies governing the collection, use and disclosure of personal information under provincial and federal laws
- Social media law - we provide advice to bricks-and-mortar companies and non-traditional technology businesses and institutions on the development of social media policies, handling social media issues in the employment context, as well as social media issues related to copyright and trademarks
- Online copyright infringement - we handle all aspects of online copyright infringement cases, including responding to copyright infringement allegations, infringement takedowns, advising on the new notice-and-notice procedures and handling copyright registrations and litigation
- Online defamation - our lawyers provide trusted counsel to clients in handling online defamation and takedowns, including defamation litigation, seeking Norwich orders and pursuing remedies against publishers of defamatory communications
- Online contests and rules - we review and provide advice for online contests including social-media aspects of conducting contests online
- Email legal issues - we advise clients on the legal aspects of email, from employment issues, to contract formation, to electronic discovery in the course of litigation
- Internet-related inventions and software patent issues - our intellectual property team advises on patentability, validity and infringement analysis for Internet-related inventions
- Mobile apps - we assist software clients with end-user license agreements and privacy issues related to mobile apps on multiple platforms
- Estate planning for Internet-related assets such as digital media assets and accounts
- CASL - we advise on the interpretation of Canada’s Anti-Spam Laws and assisting clients on compliance with commercial electronic message (CEM) and computer program provisions
- Trademarks online - Field Law’s team of lawyers and trademark agents advise our clients on online branding, online trademark infringement, and protection for the use of marks online
- Domain Names - we handle all aspects of domain name law, including registrations, trademark rights, UDRP claims and ownership transfers
- The Field Law Internet Law Group brings a cross-disciplinary approach to this complex area of law, with experience in litigation, contract drafting, business advice, regulatory issues, labour and employment, intellectual property, privacy, mergers and acquisitions.