US Immigration
US Immigration
News + Views + Events

Field lawyers advise corporate clients and individuals on the available non-immigrant and immigrant visas. We advise clients on immigration policy changes, compliance with immigration laws and general best practices when working or visiting the United States. 

Our inbound US immigration services include: 

  • L1A/B visas (Intra Company Transfers)
  • E1/2 visas (Investor/Treaty trader visas)
  • TN visas (Professionals)
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation
  • Business visitors
  • Inadmissibility Waivers
  • Athletes, Artists or Performer visas
  • Extraordinary Ability
  • Dependent visas and work permits
  • Green Cards
    • Employment Based
    • PERM Applications
    • Marriage Based
  • Naturalization Applications
  • Assisting employers in developing best practices, policies and plans to ensure compliance with immigration law and evolving immigration policy.
January 2021 - 2 min read
New Year, New Travel Rules, New US Immigration Policy
Canadian Travel Requirements Travel into Canada continues to be regulated (see our previous post with details) and the monthly extension of restrictions remains without any end in sight. In late December 2020 the federal government announced a new...
May 2020
COVID-19 Immigration Update
The US Restricts Immigration On April 20, 2020, President Trump tweeted that he would close down immigration in response to COVID-19.  As this was less than descriptive, a Proclamation was issue...
March 2020
This Just Tweeted… US Immigration Updates based on COVID-19
Whether you saw it as a tweet or during a press conference over the weekend, President Trump announced that all social distancing must continue for Americans for at least another month, if not longer. While this isn’t the first or last update on ...
March 2020
Key Cross-Border Points for Canadians to Consider at this Time
Things are changing every day in the wake of COVID-19. Unanticipated consequences have begun to cause a fury of questions and unknowns.  The below aims to address both the immigration and tax concerns as it relates to those with assets and ties to...
January 2020
When a Door in the US Closes, Another in Canada Opens
Immigration Alert
It is not news to anyone that travelling to the US or obtaining a legal US work permit has been increasingly difficult over the last few years. Under the current administration, there have been extensive procedural and policy-related changes which ofte...
December 2019
Cross-Border Workforce Trends in 2020
Workwise Newsletter
As we approach 2020, employers have increasing options for bringing skilled workers into Canada, while opportunities for employees to head south, to the United States, are increasingly limited. Field Law's Immigration Group projects three trends to...

Do I need a visa to enter the United States?

The US has different requirements for entry depending on an individual's nationality. Many countries require a visa stamp issued prior to travel. Other countries are required to obtain “ESTA”, an approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, also known as the Visa Waiver Program.  A list of ESTA countries can be found by clicking here.   

Do I need a work visa to work in the United States?

Likely, yes. Most work authorization for the US is employer specific and requires your employer to be involved with the application. Generally our immigration team can provide an initial assessment of work permit options and work with you and your employer on an application. 

How do I apply for a student visa?

Usually, the post-secondary institution will have an international student department that will assist in preparing all the paperwork needed. 

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is also known as Permanent Residency in the United States. A Green Card allows an individual to live and work in the US permanently.